Pat Letendre <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:42:10 -0600
This post is about a problem that has appeared many times on the list
but I still am having trouble with the solutions documented in the
archives. Sorry, but it's a long saga.

I want to be able to use Eudora to edit posts sent for approval. As
in the archives, I've revised eudora.ini by adding, just below [Settings]:
ExtraHeaders=Resent-From:

As expected, this generates the Resent-From:line (I've changed the
actual addresses in examples below). According to Rex (in the
archives - 28 Nov 1998)

"...every new message will have "Resent-From: listowner@address"
added to the headers. When a message comes in for approval, use
"Redirect", fill in the list address on the "To:" line, edit the
message (if desired) and send it to the list. The message will show
up on the list as orginating from the orginal poster, and LISTSERV
will automatically remove the boilerplate header it adds to messages
sent to the moderator."
When I tried a test by approving a message sent by a subscriber on
"review" (from one of my several addresses that I subscribed to the
list as) the approved message was sent to the list twice!

As shown in the real examples below (phony personal addresses) one
message (#1) had the From: line as the listowner (not the original
sender), Reply to: included both the list and the listowner (list is
configured to reply to both sender and list, so would be okay except
for listowner address instead of subscriber's),  and - worst of all -
included all the approval preamble (listserv did NOT strip it!) AND
the subject line was the approval information. Yikes!

Listserv also sent the exact same message (#2) but this time it was
closer to what I expected, in that the From: line was the
subscriber's and it had the correct subject line. Problem was Reply
to: was only the subscriber. And, of course, listserv also sent the
same approved message to the list twice (as detailed #1).

Can anyone explain why the same approved message would appear twice
using Redirect and how I can get only a message like #2 to be sent to
the list (except have both the list and subscriber in Reply to)? It's
Pretty bizarre that one approval resulted in two very different
messages sent to the lsit (#1 and #2 below).

(For interest, I also tried a totally different work-around that
allowed me to change the From: line in Eudora to appear as if a
message came from a different address. It works with ordinary mail
(type of spoofing - the From: line is changed but you can read the
headers and see it was actually sent from another address). However,
listserv interprets the real From address and gives a true From line,
i.e., the listowner@ address instead of the subscriber's.)

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers, Pat

------------------start of MESSAGE 1