Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:49:15 -0400
>To (probably) misquoute, " We can all hang together, or we can hang
>separately."  And if you don't believe that, take a look at the Nov. 23
>issue of _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ .  There are folk out with
>loaded guns to get us because they don't like the authority, however
>lightly it may be applied, we have over our lists.  The author of the
>article (p. A21, "Gatekeeping on the Internet") asked questions on this
>list and interviewed us, via a conference call, and I imagine he talked
>to a few others of you.  If you haven't read it, read it.

Douglas,

I also declined the "opportunity" to be interviewed by the author of the
article (which I read) since it seemed clear that he had very strong
preconceptions about listowners and a definite agenda.  Another
journalist friend had been asked to leave a list for telephoning list
members w/o their permission and he felt that the press had some
inherent right of access to lists and their subscribers.  I wonder if he
thought what his newspaper would be like if everyone in the world were
guaranteed that anything they sent to the editor would be printed?

Bob

 Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH            | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum