William Cudmore <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:32:30 -0400
On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Paul Shapiro wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 14:50:06 -0400
> From: Paul Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Welcome List
>
> How do I customize the Welcome message that each subscriber gets when
> signing on for the first time?
>
> I tried what I thought was the documentation about how to do that, but when
> the time came to do something I was told I had the wrong password just
> after having been successfully logged in with the correct (?) password.

Put list_name Welcome pw=xxxxxxx

Previous responses gave instructions as to get your PW so I won't repeat
it.

I found this solution to be unsatisfactory since the server also sent out
the default welcome message.  This meant that a new subscriber would get 3
e-mails
1) Confirmation of Command --> "You have been added to ...."
2) Default welcome.
3) My Welcome

Which was just a pain.

I ended up hacking the default MAILTPL (this is documented).

GET DEFAULT MAILTPL

Look through it (big file!) for the default letter. (Try a search on
'signup' to locate it quickly. It's the third or fourth instance in the
file.) Edit the message in the file.

Send the whole thing back with this line above it:

PUT list_name MAILTPL PW=xxxxxxxx