Wed, 28 Dec 1994 18:16:33 -0600
On Wed, 28 Dec 1994, Dan Lester wrote:
                     text deleted

>   Some are more lenient than this old hardass....but with ten lists to
> get this junk from, my policy is delete early, delete often.  I don't
> ever do quiet deletes, since if the place has just been fixed, then they
> can whine to me about 'what did i do wrong that you took me off the list,
> and put me back right now you jerk'.  They get a canned answer that says
> the ONLY reason I EVER dump anyone is mailbounces, and to resub at their
> convenience.  I don't use nomail for them, since most don't know how to
> do it anyway, plus if they don't come back I don't have the sub cluttering
> things up.

My, my, cynical aren't we? ;-) Realistic would probably be more accurate.
The gripes usually take the form "What did I say/do wrong?  Why did you
delete me?" don't they.  We also have never deleted anyone for anything
other than technical problems.  Speaking of which, would anyone care to
volunteer to accept the slew of "undelivered for 313/204/23 days" errors
I've been getting from ci.berkeley.ca.us ?  313 days? Sheesh, who cares,
the message is an antique!  Of course the postmaster(s) have paid no heed
to my pleas for help.

Pat, deleting, setting nomail, putting up with it for a while, trying
to figure out where the problem is, etc. are all judgement calls, based
on what research tools you have available (we don't all have access to
the things that others have), how much time you have, how long you are
willing to put up with the errors in hopes it will resolve itself, etc.
3 days I can put up with (often a full disk quota) but 5 or 7 day wonders
I delete first and ask questions later.  The even longer ones are just
flat ridiculous.  And the holidays can be trying as lots of people are
gone and lots of places use the period for maintenance and upgrades.
You can get advance notice of some of these by subscribing to LINKFAIL
and NODEINFO.

Douglas
        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner