John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:16:38 -0400
Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>the manual is ultra-thick and most people never read it

Oh, come on Eric, how can you make a statement like that?  Maybe people
can't find what they need in the manual (with no offense meant to Nathan),
even though they can search it on-line.  I think most list owners who take
the time to interact with LSTOWN-L have already gone through the on-line
documentation and haven't gotten the answer they need.

>I've been running hundreds of mailing lists in the last 12 years and I
have >never wished for the ability to reject postings with more than x% of
quoted >text, otherwise I would just have implemented it :-) It is possible
that there >are mailing lists where this is an issue, there are so many
mailing lists, but >people are not lining up to request this feature.

So does that mean everything you put into Listserv has to meet your
threshold of what's appropriate or else it's considered -- your word --
"stupid?"  Assuming quote rejection is, in fact, a stupid idea, if it would
only take "15 minutes to implement," I'd gladly pay your salary for a
quarter hour to have you add it in.  I have been involved with a mere 8
Listserv lists, and on all but one of them an excessive quoting rejection
feature would be a miracle.  I am sure the others who have discussed on
LSTOWN-L their wish for such a feature will chip in a few bucks, too, for a
quarter hour of your brainpower.  :)

In all, I am somewhat dismayed by what appears from your post to be
L-soft's complacent perspective on the development and feature addition
issue.  I know that running a business involves balancing conflicting
forces in pursuit of the best possible long-term bottom line, but if it's a
case of letting users and potential customers "eat cake," then I'm really
disappointed.  I hope I'm wrong.

-- John Witherspoon