Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:51:52 -0500
On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Winship wrote:
> > (2) Digests need to be distributed only during the early morning hours of
> > the business week (Mon-Fri between 02:00-04:00).  Any posts made to the list
> > by the moderators on Friday should be held across the weekend and not
> > distributed until early Monday morning.
>
> The time of daily DIGEST distribution is not a problem, no distribution
> on weekend is something else.  Umm. set the distribution time in the list
> header, then after the Friday morning distribution put the list on HOLD.
> FREE the list Sunday afternoon.  Would that work?

On reflection, something simpler.  If posting is by owner/moderator only,
well, just don't post anything to the list after the Friday DIGEST
distribution.  That won't work, of course, if there are a lot of
"moderators" as some will forget they are not to send the stuff to the
list until after the Sunday morning DIGEST cut time.  The HOLD option
would be the safer of the two.  Both work on the premise that if there
is nothing for LISTSERV to cut a digest from, it won't cut one.

By the way, why that particular distribution time?  (I suppose argument
for that could be the location of the list and location of most of the
target audience.)  And why, given that subscribers cannot post, the DIGEST
only restriction rather than allowing subscribers the choice of MAIL,
DIGEST, INDEX? (Your client is afraid his message will be diluted if
people are allowed to set MAIL?)

Douglas