LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:24:49 EST
On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:06:00 EDT Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 said:
>Based upon the following FINGER info, my guess is this is
>probing LISTSERV-based list for subscription info that
>might be for purposes other than participation.
>
>Login       Name               TTY         Idle    When    Where
>mldmail  Mailing-list Discove  pts/18       <Sep 18 17:03>
>
>InterNIC WHOIS domain info:
>
>Pangaea Reference Systems (REFERENCE-DOM)
>   155 A, Moffett Park Drive, Suite 104
>   Sunnyvale, CA 94089
>   USA

I think this is the site who, perhaps a year ago?, wrote to all the owners
of all the lists and said "Btw, we're going to mirror your list.  Write
us if you have a problem with that."

I wrote back as our site admin and said that our policy strictly forbids
mirroring any list here without explicit permission in writing from the
list owner (and an announcement of such on the list), and passive acceptance
was *not* going to fly.  Then I filtered out their site completely.