"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 May 1997 09:57:07 -0500
Trista wrote, in part..
> The environmental engineering list is on listproc and the errors bounce
> to the poster instead of to the list manager.  I keep getting bounces
> from radian.com, but the bad address is never given, so there is no
> point in forwarding it to the list manager.

I recommend that you *do* forward all bounces to your list manager.
Even though you don't see the failing address, your list owner has the
capability of determining it.  There are many possibilities.  For
example, from the diagnostic message body and header, portions of the
subscriber address may give enough clues.

The list manager may have other diagnostic messages to help track down
the problem.  Also, there may be only one subscriber from the domain of
the delivery diagnostic.  Finally, the list manager has the ability to
send individual mail or change the subscription attributes of
subscribers that might possibly be the problem.

> Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if a different message would
> go to the listowner.  If not, how does one deal with radian.com ?

Possibly.  As a list owner I always treat bounces to my writers as a
high priority problem.  (I want to encourage my writers and not have
them hassled, as much as possible).  Once a mail site has bounced
messages back to my writers from multiple subscriptions, I'll write to
the postmaster about the problem.  A few fix things.  Many are rude and
some just "shrug their shoulders".  If they can't deal with the
problem, I'll consider filtering the site.  If I could allow just
DIGESTS from such a site, I'd do that.

Hope this helps,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith               mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS        University of Maine System