Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 May 1996 20:13:05 EDT
> Do I correctly understand that if Send=Editor and Moderators=<list of
> moderators> that posts will be distributed (round robbin or some such
> thing) among all the moderators but they won't each get every post?

Yes.

> What if I *want* multiple moderators each to get every submission?
> Is that possible?

Yes, but with limitations.

> Would it work to have 2 lists, one list being the submission
> address (Send=Public) with the moderators as the only subscribers
> (i.e., the only ones to receive the submissions) and then the
> other address being the subscription address (Send=Editor) and
> have Moderators=Approv-L, where "Approv-L" is the name of the
> first list described above?

This sounds like it would work, but I think there would be a problem
because the address that people post to would be didderent from what
they see when the mail arrives.  You would get people attempting to
post to the list the mail comes from.

Another way to do it is to have a separate list for moderators, say
MODLIST.  Then you set up the main list like this:

   Send=Editor
   Editor=address of 1st moderator
   Editor=address of Nth moderator
   Moderator=MODLIST@listhost

The only problem with this is that you can't use the Hold option
for approving posts as the OK command must come from the address
the message was sent to.  But you can use the other methods for
approving posts.

> What I want is a public address where anyone can submit an article; the
> article is distributed to a panel of moderators; and if any one of the
> several moderators approves it, it gets sent out to the list subscribers.
> A person would not have to be a list subscriber to submit an article.
>
> Am I making this too complicated?  What I want is a list that functions
> kind of like a refereed journal, but with submitted articles automatically
> distributed to the editorial board rather than me having to do that by
> hand.

You aren't the only one who wants that.

It would be very nice if the Hold option could be used with the
structure above, as it would insure that the same message would
not be posted multiple times by different moderators.