"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:27:09 -0500
>(Reply from Randy Klumph) On  5 Feb 98, Pete Weiss wrote:
>
>> Today I've had an unusual number of full mailboxes for @AOL.COM
>> subscribers.  Any one else noticing this?
>
>Yes - It has been occurring for a 1-2 days each week for the
>past 2 months and hits all the AOL users on my list. What a pain. It
>has something to do with AOL upgrading their mail system. I also get
>erroneous "user unknown" messages

I have not recieved any "user unknown" messages from AOL in a while, but
there was a time that I was recieving them daily from a particular account
over there, and yet they were still getting messages from the list.

Incidently, I just got a "user unknown" error from worldnet.fr but I
suspect that is a temporary thing for the moment.  Some time back, I was
getting several successive error reports from a subscriber at hotmail.com
saying "user unknown" but upon sending a query from my own account (not
through listserv but directly to the subscriber) I got back a "Yes, I'm
still here."

Similarly, there was a problem I was having a few months ago which was
exactly the same in which a subscriber from slip.net was deemed to be in
the category of "user unknown" but they were clearly still there.

Just out of curiousity, how does listserv, or any given server, determine
whether or not such a user exists?  What sort of occurence could generate
these spurious error messages?

>Regards,
>Randy Klumph
>MailTo:[log in to unmask]