Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:02:56 +0100
On Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:05:00 EST Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]> said:

>1. Seems like  the MOVE command should be used,  right? We establish the
>   list  on the  new  machine and  then  the old  host  issues the  move
>   command.

I would just do GET + PUT.

>2.  What happens  to notes  sent  to the  old  address? Since  we are  a
>   backbone list serv  site, will our listserv send the  note on the the
>   correct address? Does th e new site also have to be a bacbone site?

It depends what level of forwarding  quality you want to provide. One way
is indeed  to simply delete the  old list. Subscription requests  will be
forwarded, postings  will not, existing  subscribers will be  informed by
the list owner.  In most cases this  is sufficient. When a  list has been
mentioned in the  press or equivalent, though, it might  be preferable to
notify new  users of  the move,  otherwise they  might use  the published
address for postings. In this case you'd keep the list and add "New-List=
xxx@yyy" (this requires  1.8b). Both commands and  postings are forwarded
with a note about the new address.

  Eric