Susan King <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 08:59:13 -0600
I have on more than one occassion brought this up and would like to know if
there are any others out there who get these complaints.

Having had our list originally on LISTPROC one of the biggest complaints I have
had and continue to have is the SUBJECT line which LISTSERV places on the
digests.

On the original LISTPROC the digests were consecutively numbered.. i.e.
JewishGen Digest 356 - and then the date....

It was very easy for you to trace whether or not you have them all.

Now with JewishGen getting even bigger, we have some days where we send out 2-3
Digests which have JEWISHGEN DIGEST - November 30, 1995 - Special Issue.

It is hard for some folks to determine if they are indeed getting everything.
The digests are set up for about 25 messages per digest... we have toyed with
making them bigger but since we have over 1100 users on different services, I
still get requests to make them smaller... so this continues to be a nemisis.

The other feature we had with LISTPROC which is also requested more times than
I can tell you is numbering the TOPICS...

The index is numbered and many have asked if this could be carried down to
each message. Using offline readers...it would be easier to Search the digest
for the line TOPIC 3 just using the INDEX.

Personally, I think most folks who are on PC's would love to see a program
developed which would take a digest after it is downloaded and would break them
up into separate messages so they can read and respond...through a simple
reader. Anyone know of such an "animal"...

Susan E. King ([log in to unmask])