Michelle Wilbers <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:33:40 -0600
We host a number of LISTSERV Lists for our customers. We participate in
AOL's Feedback Loop. AOL forwards copies of emails that its customers have
indicated are spam (by clicking the Report Spam button) that are sent from
our IP.

This is all well and good, except AOL strips the recipient's email address
out of the email's headers. Therefore, you have no idea who is clicking the
Report Spam button in order to remove them from a list.

When we receive complaints about lists, we require our customers to validate
their subscriber lists by removing all AOL customers and asking them to
resubscribe. No other method (such as emailing the AOL subscribers about the
problem) has been effective. Of course, our customers are very unhappy about
this. Most swear their lists are opt-in only (which generally is true) and
are demanding we find out who the complainers are.

To this end, we have contacted IMail to try to get some assistance with
this. Today, we finally got through to someone at Tier 2 Support, who made
this recommendation:

"Script all messages to AOL list members with a unique identifier to be able
to identify who
is reporting the spam. This identifier needs to be inserted into the header
in such a way as it is not stripped by their TOS Client reporting stuff."

Of course, they gave us no documentation nor information about what
would/would not be stripped out of the header by their TOS notification
software. Nor did they provide any code or other instructions. We are left
to try to figure this out on our own.

If anyone on the list has ever done this and can provide us with code and
instructions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.