Paul M Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:33:38 EDT
We have two (that I know of) lists that had digests and were working fine,
that have had old archives deleted to save space (and almost certainly
some other manual finger-poking by beginner owners) and have since had a
digest failure.  The digests are reportedly not distributed, but after a
month or less the server sticks the list into hold because the now-huge
digest exceeds the (default?) maximum number of lines and the attempt to
distribute the "extra" digest blows up due to the size.  That is, the
list is OK, the owners do something odd, the lists go into a state where
nightly distribution stops, the digests grow (really big) until they trip
off a exceeds-line-count distribution which croaks due to size and locks
the list.

Croaking and locking the list is OK with me, but I'd like to know how to
undo whatever set this off.  I've tried deleting the digest and adding
a digest statement to the UGLIST (which apparently had one which was
removed) a few days ago and it appears to still not be distributing.  I
just deleted the digest on the S-YOUTH list last night and it also appears
to be accumulating posting in the digest but not distributing them.

                                                            -Kary