Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 15:15:15 PDT
On Tue, 2 Aug 1994 15:59, Dan Wheeler <WHEELER@UCBEH> wrote:
> Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]> has been having trouble moving a
> list to a new LISTSERVer.  He said:
>> I'm working on getting back the ability to send/receive net.data
>> files, but at this point I can't do that so I can't just GET the list
>> membership from Site A and PUT it to Site B.
>> This looked so simple when I first analyzed it... *sigh*

It *is* simple, but your inability to process 'NETDATA' files
has boxed you into a corner.  Do *none* of your co-owners have
the capability to receive and process NETDATA files?
If so, add me as a co-owner, and I'll assist.

>I've hesitated to suggest this approach because it seemed that MOVE
>or EXPLODE ought to do it more easily, but this is what I would do:
>1) Obtain the subscriber list with either GET or REVIEW.
>REVIEW is better for this method because it does not have the stuff
>at the end of the line--but you will have to take care of concealed
>subscribers separately.

Don't forget to handle 'NOMAIL' and 'NOFILE' and 'DIGEST' and 'selected-topic'
subscribers correctly!   The 'GET' command is the easiest way to retrieve *ALL*
the information about each subscriber -- the 'REVIEW' command *omits* this
information.   It would be "bad" to change a 'NOMAIL-I'm-on-holidays'
subscriber back to the 'MAIL' setting, without their knowledge, or consent.