Harry Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:27:03 -0500
I have altered the SETINFO template to provide clearer explanations of
the various commands.  In one of my paragraphs, I provide the following
advice:

14c.  It is much easier to compose replies to other people's questions
if you receive Alpine-L messages one by one.  If you want to change your
account so that you receive the messages one by one, you may do so by
following the instructions in paragraph (d) at
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=alpine-l&A=1

The glitch that I am complaining about consists of the mysterious
insertion of a semicolon after the "A"
in that URL.  The semicolon causes the URL to fail.  In my revised
template there is no semicolon , but when I invoke any command, the
SETINFO message goes out automatically and paragraph 14c is
automatically altered by the insertion of the semicolon.  I have been
reduced to revising paragraph 14c so that it currently reads as follows
(the only change being the addition of the bracketed words at the end)::

14c.  It is much easier to compose replies to other people's questions
if you receive Alpine-L messages one by one.  If you want to change your
account so that you receive the messages one by one, you may do so by
following the instructions in paragraph (d) at
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=alpine-l&A=1 [if there
is a semicolon adjacent the "A", the semicolon MUST be deleted.
Alternatively, click on "Join or leave" at
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/alpine-l.html and read paragraph d
there].

It is my policy to place new members on NOMIME DIGEST service.  This
action on my part sends them the SETINFO template letter.  Very few of
them choose to change back to "regular" service, possibly because of
this glitch.  Even if NONE of them really want to change, I want this
glitch to be eliminated.  Is there anyone who can provide advice, or
anyone at L-Soft who is willing to look into it?  3

Thanks for any and all help,

Harry

PS: Of course, I would give almost anything in the world if L-Soft would
provide a separate template for each command instead of just one
template for all of them.  I'm guessing that it is possible to create
one's own templates and to create new commands, but I haven't been able
to figure out how to do this, even after repeated reading of the
listowners' manual over the last eight years..
--
Harry Dewey, active owner, [log in to unmask]