Thomas Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:33:02 -0600
cc:Mail (45 lines)
Already one of the two dozen people who have subscribed to our new list in
the past week has complained loudly about a very similar situation.  In his
case, he definitely got subscribed and received the list's welcome message,
the one I wrote that is more clear than the LISTSERV default.  Then two
days later he got this message:

     Your command:

     SUBSCRIBE LISTNAME-L John Doe (with the real names)

     has remained unconfirmed  for more than 48h and is  being cancelled. If you
     did want it executed but were unable to send the confirmation in time, just
     re-issue the command to get a new  confirmation code. The one you were sent
     before can no longer be used.

So he couldn't understand if he was really subscribed already or not.  I assured
him that he was still subscribed.  Still, we'd both like to avoid seeing these
confusing messages in the future.

Tom

Subject: Re: [LSTOWN-L] Messages Run Amuck (fwd)
Author:  stephenl ([log in to unmask]) at unix,mime
Date:    2/20/98 11:55 AM

I get this from people all the time. I also get messages that they have been
confirmed (and are getting messages) and then still get this failure message. I
also am told about signing off (and receiving confirmation of getting off) only
to keeo receiving messages. When I check, they are still there.

I've always put it down to user error. If someone knows differently, I'd
appreciate knowing about it.