janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:51:45 -0400
At 00:18 1999/09/27 -0500, you wrote:
>> I've begged and pleaded with my subscribers to stop overquoting;
>> whenever I do, things improve for about a week, and then everyone goes
>> back to quoting everything.
>
>Yeah, well, tell me about it: noticed phenomenon for years.  I know how to
>stop it but can't as haven't total freedom here.  Just play the nasty
>listowner from time to time which helps, for a while, but also makes the
>timorous reluctant to post (hey, I ain't seriously bit anyone yet, despite
>my bluffs).  Clean operation of the list, the goal of the listowner, is a
>difficult concept to convey as they *will* take it personally.

this begs the question as to the ultimate "goal" of the list

is the "goal" of the listowner
different from the "goals" of the listmembers?

if so, then conflict is inevitable

just my two cents worth

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>