Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:13:56 -0400
Sorry about duplicate messages--accidentally sent a previous message too soon.

[. . .]
>It's the #1 complaint of my listowning friends, and of my subscribers
>as well, who get huge messages with "me too" at the bottom.
>
>I wasn't able to read Eric's full message because it wrapped so
>horridly on my low-tech text only screen... but Eric, I know a *bunch*
>of listowners who would kill for such a feature.
[. . .]

I don't think that the feature would be the cureall that many people seem
to imply that it would be.  I say this because of stuff I've seen on
Usenet, where newsreaders were created that limited the amount of quoted
material in any given message.

The problem is that persistant overquoters, of which there are many, simply
discover ways to defeat the limitation.  For instance, I've seen people do
stuff like the following to artificially increase the proportion of quoted
text:

Also they'll manually or otherwise change the quotation character from > to
| or some such, etc.  Some email programs allow you to choose the quotation
character which would easily allow people to defeat this feature, and if
the feature was implemented in LISTSERV I'm sure many mail clients would
allow quotation-character choosing because people would demand it expressly
to defeat the feature.

Bottom line, I don't think that the feature would have the effect you want.
For whatever reason, people are extremely very reluctant to trim their
quotations.

-jwgh