Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 13:44:50 EDT
... major portions of Ton's article not shown ...
>I definitely don't want them to use our list as a marketing tool.
>But then, they could do a REVIEW BIOMCH-L and create their own
>mailing list.

   If you're worried about this, disable REVIEW!  If you wish any
   control over who sends to your subscribers, you must disable REVIEW.
   You can FILTER= addresses that refuse to conform to your list's
   rules, but if you allow REVIEW, they can hassle your subscribers ...
   and there is nothing you can do.  Some would say people that don't
   want to get hassled will SET CONCEAL, but in my experience they don't
   ...  until it is too late.

>How do other list owners deal with these problems?
>Specific questions:
>
>1. Is moderating a list (i.e. looking at every posting before
>distributing it) a good solution?

   It is by far the best way to control material on the list, but it is
   a *lot* of work and can significantly slow down or stall a discussion.

>2. Is it possible to give a better description of what is
>allowed?

   Probably.  You might say "Unsolicited advertisements are not
   welcome".  "Briefly mentioning a product or service that answers a
   question or solves a problem mentioned on the list is OK and
   appreciated".

   With the demise of BITNET (maybe within the next year?), your BITNET
   argument has little basis in reality.  I suggest you reconsider what
   it is about vendor participation or advertisements that you dislike
   (or think your subscribers dislike).  For me, unrelated
   advertisements are junk mail and junk mail is not welcome on my
   lists.  I appreciate hearing a little about vendors and vendor
   products, but I don't want my lists to be dominated by blatantly
   self-serving, long ads.

   Maybe in another life we can treat our lists more as publications and
   charge real $$ for ads?  My site's University could use the cash! :-)

>3. Besides the policy of the list, are there any general rules
>that should be obeyed by users of Bitnet or Internet?

   I'm not sure there are any rules.  Hopefully, common sense applies
   and sometimes law is applied.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]