Joe Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Mar 1994 08:43:13 CST
> SMTP to Lotus/Notes gateway.  Such gateways *can* work just fine, but
> if they are misconfigured the user will wind up with unrepliable mail.

This is not necessarily true.  When SMTP is not the native language
of a mail system it is not a given that there will be enough fields
left in the MUA header to appropriately handle Reply-To and Error
to.  Microsoft Mail (the one we use) is an example.  Mail needs to
be routed within MS Mail long after the SMTP gateway is done with
it.  In that process, there is one Reply-To/'From' address.  Given
the choice of using the SMTP envelope and handling errors right and
using the Reply-to (with its sequence of rules) and handling replies
right, MS made the correct (yay, for once) choice and chose SMTP
envelope.  And no, the gateway cannot know which messages will
bounce.  They've promised to provide more function in their mail
package soon, but it's NOT a gateway problem.

Why do I go into all this detail?  As listowners, we can point
people to the DUALHDR option so the headers get copied into the BODY
of the message (thanks, Eric).  At least that way they will have
full headers to see what the appropriate addresses are.  In the case
of MSMail, the DUALHDR option is NOT necessary because the MUA has a
similar option.

That's enough marginally relevant stuff for now.

Joe Moore