Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:04:55 AST4ADT
Pathetic.  Right, but not quite strong enough, somehow.

>> The contents of this E-Mail and any attachments may contain
>> confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the
>> intended recipient, please return it to the sender immediately and
>> do not disclose or make use of or rely on this information.

> The most pathetic thing about these email footers is that it
> suggests that the person who wrote them actually thought that
> e-mail might be a proper method for conveying confidential or
> privileged information. Someone should sue these lawyers for
> leading their recipients to think that it is.

Actually, this is _ironic_.  What's _pathetic_ is that they seem to
think anybody would be dumb enough to believe that they ought to do
what the message orders them to do (or do anything other than to look
at the message and see if there's a way to turn it to profit . . . )

I don't know, it's somehow like watching folks going around sticking
warning labels on alligators . . . Caution, the surgeon general has
determined that sticking your head into the mouth of this reptile is
dangerous to health.

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_    Professor of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~