Mon, 21 Nov 1994 20:06:02 -0600
On Mon, 21 Nov 1994, Richard Jensen, H-Net Executive Director wrote:

>     Our subscribers automatically get a very poorly phrased
>     "welcome" message that has lines like this in it.  Perhaps
>     this list is a good place to help draft a better
>     replacement. In any case, will the programmers please REMOVE
>     this text.
>               IMPORTANT:  This list  is confidential.  You
>               should not  publicly mention its  existence, or
>               forward copies of information  you have obtained
>               from it to third  parties.

As I understand it, a "confidential" list is a "secret" list which is
not listed when one sends the LIST command.  That is the entire point
of being a "confidential" list, isn't it?  If information about the
list and the material on it is widely distributed it is no longer
confidential, is it?  So I see nothing wrong with the notice.

If that is not what you want, then don't make the list confidential,
or install your own WELCOME file in your filelist.  At least, that's
how I see it.  :-)

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner