Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:33:15 -0500
I don't use the formal "bulk" processes, so maybe my experience is of
little value in this context....  just my preference, I process address
lists into batches of "add" command lines with OK BEGIN/END, and in that
case the way around not having firstname lastname is simply to place an
asterisk in the position firstname would occupy otherwise.  Not two
asterisks, just one.  This is in the documentation.  My guess would be
that bulk processing will be even more forgiving than the command
interface, since in reality having firstname lastname in a subscription
entry is merely informative and plays no technical role at all in the
operation of a list.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/13/04 08:15PM >>>
The former listowner of a nonLISTSERV list has provided to me a list of
her subscriber addresses, to restart the list as a LISTSERV list.  I
have no "names," only addresses.  Is there a way I can get LISTSERV to
accept a bulk add, quietly, of just addresses?

If, there isn't, which won't surpize me, I'll want to send a note to
all these before announcing the "new" list elsewhere.  I think that,
these days, some anti-spam software automatically rejects items which
have more
than a certain number of cc:s or bcc:s.  Is that correct?  If it is,
what number is commonly used?

I have 339 addresses and would rather not divide them into more than
four (85 addresses apiece).  Suggestions?

Douglas Winship     [log in to unmask]