John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:54:26 -0400
> Wondered if anyone could help with a query I have.
>
> Over the last few days subscribers using the physics.org domain have been automatically deleted from all of my lists. I have checked my subscribers lists and there is no one left with a physics.org address (there were about 20 on each list). Below is a sample from one of the daily monitoring reports I received:

>                 Last error: 5.2.0 550 5.2.0 Your domain does not have any MX
>                             records.

What I believe the problem is the mailer at PHYSICS.ORG is
complaining the sending domain does not have an MX record.
If this is the case, then the mailer/domain which is sending LISTSERV
mail does not have an MX.

Having an MX is NOT required however. An MX is only used if present.
If not, then the A recorded is used. It's generally recommended not
using an MX record unless it is different than the A Record. This is
apparently some silly anti-spam measure that  PHYSICS.ORG is using.

So, the problem is at PHYSICS.ORG with their anti-spam measure. You
can choose to go ahead and add an MX record to fix this if you want.

It *may* also be they are complaining that you have no rDNS, although
the text of the error doesn't indicate that.  So check to be sure you
have a PTR Record (reverse DNS), then deal with the MX problem as you
see fit.