Joe Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 16:29:07 CST
Brad said in relation to language:

>worth the time or effort to police it.  In theory we are all adults.

I agree, we can't police language on the net.  Some say, 'well just
put a software filter in'.  If I ban the word awful, come up with
software to catch A@W%F#U!L and all other possible permutations!!
Brad's right, words are just symbols.  However, I do take issue with
the 2nd sentence above.  The Internet isn't just for adults any
more!  Solutions?  I don't have any.  I won't be surprised if they
come up with an 'adults only' section of the Internet sometime but
all it takes is one leak in the structure and it won't help.  The
library metaphor is often used but at least the librarian will see
the books you check out.  In cyberspace, the person that might look
over your shoulder is probably in another state.

I don't believe in censorship for *adults*, but I do have some
concerns about our kids (yes, I have 2--one 2 and one 8 months).  I
still believe we have the responsibility to provide some shelter--
starting out with a lot and gradually getting less and less until
the SHELTER component almost disappears in late high school.  Again,
I don't have any solutions.

Just some musings.

Joe Moore
South Dakota State University