Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:13:04 -0400
I recently sent a message to my list reminding subscribers to set NOMAIL
when they are go on vacation or off to a conference.  In my message I
referred to LISTSERV asking them to confirm the command.  On my
co-listowner questioning that statement I tested it by setting my own
personal subscription to NOMAIL.  I was NOT asked to confirm.  I therefore
sent a follow-up message to my list apologizing about misleading them
about the need to allow time for the confirmation process.

Now the fun began.  A subscriber wrote to me saying that the last two
times she had set NOMAIL she HAD been asked to confirm.  I therefore asked
subscribers who had recently set to NOMAIL to let me know whether or not
they had been asked to confirm.   So far the vote is:
        NOT asked to confirm:           7 (including me)
        Asked to confirm:               2

Anyone have a possible explanation for this discrepancy (other than the
latter two are confused about which list they were setting to NOMAIL!)?

The settings for my list are shown below.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     My home page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
     AUTOCAT home page:
     http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat/

*  AUTOCAT: Library cataloging and authorities discussion group
*
*  Subscription= Open,Confirm
*  Send= Editor
*  Reply-to= Both,Respect
*  Files= No
*  Notebook= Yes,/ssa/listserv/notebooks/autocat,Weekly,Public
*  Confidential= no
*  Mail-Via=Distribute
*  Renewal= Yearly,Delay(16)
*  Default-Options= Repro,Short,Renew,Review,Nomime
*  Daily-Threshold= 65
*  Subject-Tag= ACAT
*
*  Notify= [log in to unmask]
*  Editor= [log in to unmask],(AUTOCAT)
*  Review= OWNERS
*  Errors-To= [log in to unmask]
*
*  Owner= [log in to unmask]
*  Owner= Quiet:
*  Owner= [log in to unmask]   (Judith Hopkins, primary listowner)
*  Owner= [log in to unmask]  (Douglas Winship, secondary listowner)
*  Owner= [log in to unmask]
*  Owner= [log in to unmask]
*
*  Filter= Also,*postmas*@*,email*@*,*maiser*@*,root@*
*  Filter= database@*darkstar.rsa*,*info*@*roularta.be,*@*Rt66.com
*  Filter= *@*firebug*,*vortex*@*,*stumble*@*,*@*vortex*,*@*stumble*
*  Filter= *@*nebula.com,jimi@*netcom.com, *@*punk.net,*firebug*@*
*  Filter= *@atext.com,list-sub@*,*@*infoseek.com,*@*ixc.net
*  Filter= *@*.ea.com,*@*.iaf.net,*@iaf.net,*@ixc.net,autocat@*
*  Filter= *autocat-request*@*,*@*muhlberg.edu,*@*reference*,*@*goodprice*
*  Filter= *@*ropesgray.com,*@*sqn.com, *@*ripco.com,*@*iqtest.com
*  Filter= *@*findmail.com,txmail@*utexas.edu,*@*llgm.com
*  Filter= *dejanew*@*,*@*dejanews*,*@*ultinet.net, *@*.nac.net
*  Filter= *@*drew.edu
*
* Total number of users subscribed to the list:   3283
* Total number of local node users on the list:      0
*