Thu, 23 Feb 1995 02:28:47 -0600
I would think the most practical "quick fix" would be to get your
LISTSERV maintainer to add, as quiet owner, all the variations on
your address which your system may report.

Next, do you have a personal password?  If not, get one and use it
rather than the list password.  I think that, as long as the password
is equated to your owner address in the header (see above), will allow
you to work from any address, though it can be cumbersome constantly
adding your password for things that don't normally require a password
(add, delete, set, etc.)

I also am a remote list owner, so I'm aware of some of what you speak.
Many email systems will allow you to specify how your address is to be
reported, i.e. give only subdomain.domain, ignore host etc.  How you
modify this will depend on your mailer, but it usually works fairly
well.  I can work from any of four or five different servers and my
LISTSERV commands always work, no password needed for routine stuff
(unless, of course, I screw up somewhere).  You can probably check
on what your address is currently being reported as by sending yourself
a little test message and looking at the "full" header.

Ask the host of your list for a courtesy account on the same machine
as the list and add it as a quiet owner.  In a pinch you can telnet
to that account to do essential work while trying to get your local
problem(s) straightened out.

If your address is getting modified to a "routed" one you could have
a real bear to work with.

Just some ideas.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner