Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 04:21:37 +0200
On Thu, 21 Jul 1994 21:12:25 -0500 Winship <[log in to unmask]> said:

>So, if I wanted to have automatic file distribution via email, would I
>send in something like this?
>
>set listname files f=mail
>afd
>
>The goal is to automatically send via email all new files to those who
>want them.

The lists  are the file server  functions are two different  things. They
can (and usually  are) coupled, but they don't have  to. The "Files= Yes"
option in the list headers applies to BITNET files sent (via SENDFILE) to
the list  - should they be  accepted or not. SET  listname FILES controls
whether a particular  user gets BITNET files for the  list. The files are
always sent via mail if the user has no BITNET access, and always sent in
the format  they came in  if the  user is on  BITNET (LISTSERV acts  as a
BITNET relay then). These two functions are totally separate from AFD.

AFD controls  the distribution of file  server files (the kind  you order
via GET).  You could subscribe to  a file with AFD  ADD SOME.FILE F=MAIL.
You  can use  wildcards  if there  is  a matching  generic  entry in  the
FILELIST. Thus, if you define an entry for '* MINUTES', you can subscribe
to *.MINUTES or 94*.MINUTES.

>Just what does FUI do?

FUI  sends you  a message  saying  a new  file is  available, instead  of
sending the file itself.

  Eric