Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 06:14:28 -0700
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:50:34 +0100, Sarah Lawrence <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I have the following lines in my header --
>
> * Default-Options=      NoAck,Repro,NoConceal,ShortHdr,mail,nomime
> * Language=             NoHTML
>
> but the List is still receiving mime formatted messages like this:
>
> [begin message]
>
> Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 14:33:22 -0400

<snip>

What you describe above is not MIME-encoding.  It is quoted-printable
encoding.  Please see the last line of the message header.  We have
Default-Options= ,NOMIME and Language= NoHTML as the defaults for all of
our lists, but we still frequently get postings with exactly what you are
showing here.

The culprit in this particular case is MS Outlook Express.  When it is
newly installed or upgraded, either as part of Windows 95/98/NT etc., or
separately, its defaults are automatically set for quoted-printable
encoding.  Your subscribers have to be instructed to change their settings
to eliminate this.  We have a canned message that we send to subscribers to
tell them what to do.  I am repeating the main steps for OE5 here.  If
anyone wants our full message, or the equivalent instructions for OE4,
please contact me privately.

=====

If you want to change your default option for message preparation under
Outlook Express 5 to plain text (our recommended option), follow these
steps:

1.  Open Outlook Express.
2.  Click on the "Tools" menu.
3.  Click on the "Options..." selection.
4.  Click on the "Send" tab.
5.  In the "Mail Sending Format" area, select "Plain Text".
6.  Click on the "Plain Text Settings..." button next to "Mail Sending
    Format".
7.  In the "Message format" area, make sure that:
    o  "MIME" is selected
    o  The selection for the list box entitled "Encode text using:"
       shows "None", not "Quoted Printable"
    o  "Allow 8-bit characters in headers" is NOT selected
8.  Click OK to exit the "Plain Text Settings" menu.
9.  Click OK to exit the "Options" menu and set the selected options.

=====

because all messages are generated as quoted-printable, and there is no way
to change the message preparation configuration of those interfaces to
eliminate this.  In addition, you will also frequently see quoted-printable
messages from Novell GroupWise users.  Regretfully, you will probably have
to put up with them, because, as I have been told, the encoding/formatting
options are set by the system administrator and are not individually configurable.

=====
Best wishes,

Clark Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Co-Administrator, EEAC Web Site and mailing lists
http://www.eeadopt.org