"Lawrence E. Rondot" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 23:37:39 EST
Well I am about as pissed off as the rest of you, but I might have a new tact
on how to get their attention - and maybe their business (all of it).

After thinking about attorneys in general, what will get their undivided
attention?  A real threat to their business.   I called the Indiana State
Supreme Court, Disciplinary Commission (Indiana residents - 317 232 1807
and speak to Charles Kidd).  He said that any attorney can have a "non
targeted" add to Indiana residents, this case is not clear cut.  They directly
addressed a group of Indiana residents with an offer to perform a service,
but the method of addressing does not make it clear that a single resident
was targeted (that would be against the rules).  So in one way they did target
a subset of the residents (users of EMail), but they used a blast (my term)
approach - similar to a national ad in USA Today.

Unlike USA Today - you buy the paper knowing there will be offers to perform
services (and expect them), Email costs you prior to knowing what the contents
of a message will be.  Junk mail postage due anyone?

The Indiana office does not have direct regulatory authority over this guy
(his office is in New York), but if I want to file a complaint against him,
I can do so.  Mr. Kidd  would not discourage me from doing so, but he would
not encourge me either.

Mr. Kidd stated that each state in the US has some sort of office that monitors
the behavior of lawyers in that state.  Some are state run offices and others
are run by the state bar association.  At this point the US Supreme court has
not delt with the issue of "electronic communications" and how the society
uses it and what should be allowed and what should not be.  Each state has
their own rules to follow (Is there a state in the US that still bans all ads
for lawyers? - this is where a good complaint could come in from).

I intend to fill out a complaint.  Anyone want to jump on this bandwagon?

Just an idea on how to get someone's attention.  Anyone have a connection to
CNN, The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal?

Larry Rondot                             [log in to unmask]
IBM Systems Programmer & BITNET Techrep  [log in to unmask]
Indiana Purdue University Fort Wayne     AT&T:   (219) 481-6203
2101 Coliseum Blvd East
Fort Wayne Indiana    46805-1499  USA    =* Standard Disclaimers *=