Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 00:04:46 +0200
Several providers have  recently stopped their mailing  list services and
there are a lot of orphaned lists looking for a new home. We've seen with
the GIT lists that  there's a lot less free lunches  than people who want
one, and I'm afraid I don't see this changing. More and more universities
seem to be asking people to please find a new home for their list, if not
right now  then within the next  3-6 months. And, with  a few exceptions,
the corporate  sites will  only sponsor  lists if  it somehow  fits their
corporate  profile. I  can  see car  manufacturers  sponsoring the  Chevy
lovers list, but not a list about  guinea pigs. There's actually a lot of
opportunities in that direction, but most corporations are still Internet
shy, and people don't really know  where to turn. Besides, since it isn't
commonplace yet, you have to be prepared to spend a lot of energy selling
your idea to the company's PR department.

18 months  ago I thought that  the advent of the  workstation versions of
LISTSERV  would change  that situation,  but apparently  the universities
were equally concerned about manpower  as they were with mainframe cycles
(and I can't  really blame them). Above all, there  has been a tremendous
change  in the  accessibility of  Internet  services in  the past  couple
years. Two  years ago, if you  were leading a small  charitable group and
needed a mailing  list, or even (in some areas)  a simple e-mail account,
the local university  was pretty much your only option.  Nowadays you can
buy Internet  access for $20/month  from dozens of service  providers, so
the  universities probably  don't  feel  the same  level  of pressure  to
provide lists for free,  or at very low rates. And I  can assure you that
university  lawyers spend  a great  deal  of time  being concerned  about
whether  the  university  might  not  be construed  as  abusing  its  tax
privileges and/or  subsidies competing with local  businesses (apparently
you can get sued for that and lose  a lot of money). So, I think the free
lunches from the universities are coming  to an end. There will be plenty
of free lunches to be had from the corporate world, but you'll have to go
and  get them,  and argue  your case  fiercely, whereas  the universities
would usually set  up the list with minimal hassle.  There will always be
lists  run by  people on  their workstations  with "look  the other  way"
approval  from their  employers, but  the beneficiaries  tend to  be very
quiet and not  invite others in on  the deal :-) I think  people are just
going to have to get used to the  fact that the lists aren't free to run,
and that someone has  got to pay for them one way or  the other. This has
worked for e-mail  accounts, I don't see any reason  it wouldn't work for
mailing lists as long  as the charges are in line  with what your average
non-technical user  is willing to pay  for the service. L-Soft  will open
its own  "hobby list"  service very  soon, and  hopefully rescue  all the
lists  that Netcom,  Webcom and  others won't  run any  longer. Yes,  the
prices will be lower than for our business service :-) There's a lot more
orphaned lists now  than when GIT dropped out, we  have better technology
at  our  disposal, and  we've  invested  in  a  big delivery  server  for
unrelated reasons,  all in  all we're  operating on  a larger  scale with
lower costs.

  Eric