Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:48:46 -0600
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Eric Luo wrote:
> After I removed some "Junk" postings from the Notebook file
> ($LISTSERV/lists/listname.logxxx), do I need to manually edit the
> listname.dbindex file? Since the "Junk" posting's entry is still located in
> the listname.dbindex file. Or some associated files I should modify?

Pardon me for asking, but why are you editing your archives this way,
presumably totally deleting entire items, which may mess up the indexing
and *will* present an untrue, unrealistic image of activity on the list?
Sure, I edit the logs sometimes, but only to fix technical problems which
hinder retrieval.

Wouldn't it be better (simpler and less work) to prevent the "junk" getting
into the archives in the first place?

By the way, as far as I am concerned there is only one person on this list
who is entitled to sign messages as simply "Eric":  Eric Thomas.
By the same token, only Peter Weiss gets to sign his items as simply
"Pete", etc.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]