John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Oct 1992 23:01:18 -0500
     I haven't had any list subscriptions yet using the new BITNET
node, INDIANA, but the ones I've had so far using the new Internet
domain, indiana.edu, have all worked fine so far (knock on wood).

     Like Nathan, I saw an item in the last Indiana University
_UCS Monitor_ publication regarding the change in IU's overall BITNET
node id for the Bloomington VAXcluster from IUBACS to INDIANA.  Just
now when I got the nodentry from NetServ@UICVM, I noticed that the :Internet
tag for INDIANA is usenet.ucs.indiana.edu, which I believe is the VAX ULTRIX
machine that was introduced this summer as the Bloomington campus' dedicated
NetNews server.  But from the _UCS Monitor_ publication I came away (rightly
or wrongly) with the feeling that INDIANA = indiana.edu (which may be an
alias for the same machine).  (That may bring us back to the philosophical
disagreement regarding whether the :Internet tag should designate a
host.domain equivalency or should be machine-specific  :-)

     Anyway, here's the nodentry listing for INDIANA.  It's interesting that
almost all the e-mail addresses listed still use the IUBACS nodename rather
than the INDIANA nodename.

Date: 07 Oct 1992 22:19:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: File "INDIANA NODENTRY" being sent

:node.INDIANA :connect.19900622 :country.US :fclass.N :fformat.PU
:lastup.REP 19920810 DIETZ@IUBACS :links1.IUGOLD :machine.DECsystem :net.BITNET
:netsoft.UREP :nodedesc.Indiana University Bloomington, U. Computing Services
:nodenum.3298 :nsv.US04 :ref.MN_IN_U_BLOOM :routtab.NONE :system.risc Ultrix
:techinfo.p_jedietz :type.NJE :useradm.P_JEDIETZ P_JDIETZ P_NOC
:userinfo.p_rdavila :cks.9356 :netop.P_SMOSIER :internet.usenet.ucs.indiana.edu
:p_jedietz.James E. Dietz;DIETZ@IUBACS;+1 812 855.4981
:p_bdavila.Bobbi Davila;POSTMAST@IUBACS;+1 812 855.5772
:p_jdietz.James E. Dietz;DIETZ@IUBACS;+1 812 855.0324
:p_rdavila.Roberta Davila;DAVILA@IUBACS;+1 812 855.8398