Thomas Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:00:22 -0500
Both Dan Frezza and Jason Rasku (in a separate note) bring up very good
concerns about making the list of actual subscribers readily available.  I
suspect this never occurred to me because I run lists inside a corporate
firewall.  My concerns are less security than trying to enhance
communication within the corporation.  It's not a freewheeling and highly
communicative population behind this firewall.  To the contrary people are
reticent to share ideas.  My thought was to increase communication by
letting people see that their colleagues are already subscribers to the
lists.  Just listing the number of subscribers doesn't seem to me as
potentially effective as telling who they are.  Anybody else have a similar
perspective?  Do you all still see a downside to listing subscribers so
readily?  Can it be done as I originally suggested?  Finally, what about
the hotlink to bring up the Welcome file that would enable browsers to read
about each list?  Thanks to one and all.

Tom

Author:  dan ([log in to unmask]) at unix,mime
Date:    6/23/98 5:45 PM

I agree.

        There's just too much potential misuse behind linking actual subscribers
some hot-link, regardless of one's good intention.

        I listened today, to the Cybercast of the Department of Commerce meeting
 on
"Privacy on the Internet."  It was a good meeting today that brought out some
important critical issues on "privacy" facing us.  The second meeting is
tomorrow.  You can catch some of the issues on:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/privacy/

and the Cybercast should be on at 9:45 a.m. EDT, at:

www.news.com/Radio/Rams/privacy98_02.ram

Dan Frezza, SFO
Listowner of Assisi-L

> On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>
> > We're just getting our web interface working.  We are using version 1.8c.
> >
> > The standard format on page http://listserv...com/archives/index.html lists
> > the number of subscribers in parentheses after each list's title.  Is there
> > some way we can have the number-of-subscribers information hotlink to an
> > actual list of current subscribers? Could we also set up a hotlink to bring
> > up the Welcome file that would enable browsers to read about each list?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
>         I would not sugest having a list of subscribers publicly
> accessable on the WWW interface, even if it is only avalable for the lists
> that have review=public it gives spammers just one more place to get lists
> of ``known good'' addresses.  As for producing the welcome, there should be
> no problem with that.  But I do not know for sure.  I would think that was a
> standard feature.
>
>                                                         Jason Rasku
>
> --
> Jason Rasku, Box 270, Rossland, B.C., V0G 1Y0, (250) 362-5701,
> LinuxBox: (250) 362-9668.
>
> Web pages of Interest:
> Madness: <http://www.madnation.org/> <http://www.efn.org/~dendron>
>          <http://www.peoplewho.org/Madness>
> Fibre: <http://kootweb.com/trillium/trrasku/trrasku.html>
> Spirituality: <mailto:[log in to unmask]
> sprits firstname lastname>
>
> ICQ 6375239
>
> Johnson's First Law:
>         When any mechanical contrivance fails, it will do so at the
> most inconvenient possible time.

Dan Frezza <[log in to unmask]>
PGP -- An envelope for your email
PGP Public Key on Server