Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 11:05:03 EST
Hi all.

Due to space limitations I've recently begun editing the notebook files of
my list.  Most of the time I'm reducing the headers and extensive
quotations that subscribers have included in messages.

On a few occasions I innocently deleted entire messages, thinking that
the database functions would merely renumber the messages.

However I've now begun to get complaints from users who subscribe using
the INDEX option (where one requests postings by message number) that
the messages numbers no longer correspond to the messages indicated
on the INDEX mailings.  Apparently I've done a grave error.

This gives me the opportunity to ask:  how can I correct this?  Is there
some kind of "renumber" command or must I try to figure out which
messages I deleted so that I can replace them?

Further, looking at the log files, how EXACTLY does Listserv determine
where the new messages begin?  Is it that line of = signs?

Thanks for the responses,
Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                        [log in to unmask]
                 Listowner, [log in to unmask]
                 Administrivia to:  [log in to unmask]
-------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------