Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:11:34 -0500
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, rex wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:50:51AM -0500, Dennis Budd wrote:

>> This is the only way I've seen that will work with a Wintel PC mail
>> client, unless a similar kludge is available with Eudora, which also
>> will not let you edit a "bounced" message.
>
>I don't recall exactly what you're trying to do, but if you want to edit a
>message and then send it to LISTSERV using the Resent* feature, it can be
>done with Eudora by using the ExtraHeaders option with a personality.
>Whenever a message needs to be edited yet appear to originate from the
>original sender, the "lstmgr" personality is selected.

Well I was wrong.  Eudora *will* let you edit a "bounced" message
(Eudora calls it "redirecting" the message).  It was something else it
wouldn't let me do in the process that I didn't like, but that's not
really relevant here.  I remembered wrong.

The alternate personality (described very well in the archive post you
reference below) is necessary so that the "Resent-" headers will be
present in the redirected message.  They tell Listserv that you are
sending the post as editor on behalf of the original sender (who may
not have the authority to post directly to the list), and that the
orignal sender's "From:" address is to be respected.

>There are details in the archives at
>http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lstown-l.html
>with subject: "Software for bouncing (resending) unsubbed message?"
>I believe my last post on the subject was on 22 Jun 1999.

I was around then and I even participated in the thread.  I can't
believe I've been subbed this long already.

Dennis