Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 22:17:10 +0200
On Wed, 4  Sep 1996 16:04:14 -0400  Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Hmm. Just looked at it. Multiple "From:" appears to be legal, since it's
>not explicitly prohibited (and text at the beginning says that multiples
>are allowed unless explicitly prohibited).

No, it says that  the meaning of multiple tags is  not defined by RFC822,
in other words, that every programmer and every product is free to define
it in a way that makes  sense in its particular context. LISTSERV defines
it as "I can't  determine which of the multiple From:  fields is the real
originator, so I won't process this message".

>Not  only that,  RFC  822  itself contains  examples  of "From:"  fields
>containing multiple addresses, so *that* is certainly legal.

Take a look  at the "Date:" examples  and let me know how  you feel about
the quality of the examples :-)

>        From: a,b

LISTSERV  doesn't support  that  brain-damage either  (which nobody  ever
uses, it's  one of these things  that got added for  metaphysical reasons
and  that we're  still  paying for  14 years  later).  It's very  simple,
LISTSERV wants  ONE address from  which the command  originates. LISTSERV
doesn't support the concept of having a command originating from multiple
people at the same time.

  Eric