Louise Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 May 1997 20:02:28 +0200
Dear Karen,  As both a co-listowner of a garden list and a member of some
lists for those with medical conditions,  my own opinion is: please, Don't
deny your members the support and help that a medical list offers because
of something so trivial as an add banner over which they have no control.
The better choice would be to complain to Hotmail if you truly feel that it
is that much of a barrier to communication.  I am in total agreement with
the policy against advertising, especially if it smacks of exploitation,
but in this case aren't exceptions ok when the banner is not within the
control of the members?

Both the medical lists which I am on and our garden list have decided to
ignore the banners.  As my long-lived grandmother would have said, "Rise
above it!" <G>

Peace and good health, Louise

At 06:24 AM 5/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Recently my list has gotten a number of subscribers with *@hotmail.com
>addresses. Every single message they send to the list from their hotmail
>accounts has a bottom banner advertising Hotmail's service. I find it
>annoying and it violates my list rules against advertising.
snipety snip...

>So I am looking for suggestions, a way to salve my conscience, any little
>thing.
>
>Has anybody else encounted Hotmail on their lists and, if so, what did you
>decided to do about it?
>
>Thanks,
>Karen

Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society
Louise Parsons & Harry Dewey, active listowners
Eric Gouda, Alexej (Sasha) Borkovec, quiet listowners
Please, write to active listowners at the above address
To join Alpine-L, send the message INFO to the above address
http://www.peak.org/~parsont/rockgard/