"Leon D. Wald" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:26:34 -0600
I have 2 of my lists set to Subscription= Open,Confirm, which has eliminated
some problems, most recently preventing one Pat Sosinski <[log in to unmask]>
from trying to join all our lists using an address which immediately bounced
the confirmation requests.

However, this parameter does lead to one small problem: When a valid
subscriber unsubscribes and immediately closes his net access, the
confirmation message bounces back to me and I have to manually delete him.
My suggestion is to eliminate confirmation for this one function
(unsubscription). If the address and request were forged, then the normal
Listserv farewell messages would reach the user and he could simply
resubscribe. Would this lead to any big security problems? It doesn't seem
likely to me.

Leon

<><  Leon D. Wald                      3M Company                ><>
<><  [log in to unmask]                    Storage Media Laboratory  ><>
<><  (612) 733-3223 (Voice)            3M Center, 235-3A-20      ><>
<><  (612) 736-6843 (FAX)              St. Paul, MN 55144-1000   ><>
<><    The opinions are mine ... and certainly don't represent   ><>
<><         the official position of 3M or anyone else!          ><>