Bill Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:52:43 -0500
Winship wrote on 02/02/2006 04:52:05 PM:

> I run my lists (all discussion lists for particular professions) from
> generous academic host sites.  About a year ago I checked with Eric as
> what it would cost to have one of them hosted at L-Soft.  Ten thousand
> dollars per year is about what he told me back then.  That was daunting,
> but with this extra fee ....
>
> I didn't move any of my lists to L-Soft hosting, but what I would like
> know is what, if any, impact this stuff will have on academic LISTSERV
> host sites.

A brief read of the (Not_so)Goodmail site indicates it will only affect
high volume message with graphics embedded in the mail (for now). Probably
wont affect me too much as our lists are small -- only a few over 200
subscribers, and not too many are on AOL.

To me, this is a good argument for making email plain text only again.
Maybe I should just change my name to Ned Ludd! :)