Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:42:28 -0700
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:27:26 -0600, Pat Williams <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>As far as I can tell, you can create a superlist that contains as sublists 2
>or more lists that already exist on your server. But what do you have to do
>if you want to sublists WITHIN an existing list. For example, I own
>MYLIST-L. I'd like to have a sublist, perhaps called MYSUBLIST-L, that can
>be used by a subset of the current subscribers to MYLIST-L. Do I have to go
>thru the normal process of getting a new list created on my institution's
>server, & then make it a sublist of MYLIST-L?

Yes.

>Or is there a way I can create
>the sublist from with MYLIST-L. What will happen if I set MYLIST-L's
>"Sub-list" keyword to "Sub-lists=MYSUBLIST-L?"

List Creation requires 'Postmaster' (site admin) privileges in LISTSERV.  List
Owners do not have the necessary privileges.  So you need the assistance of
the Administrator(s) of your host server to create the list(s) that will
become Sub-Lists.  Except for Ver 15.0 and later, you also need the assistance
of the Administrator(s) to set the Sub-Lists= keyword.  In general, List
Owners may not set this keyword at all, only Site Admins can do so.  (Starting
in 15.0, Owners may set this keyword only if they are an Owner= for all the
listed Sub-Lists in question.)