Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:12:31 -0500
From: "Russell Hunt" <[log in to unmask]>

> Yes, I just forbid attachments and (AFAIK) it doesn't seem to be doing
> this. The listowner in this case is probably policing attachment types
> too. I'm going to contact him.

The trouble is that the alternatives to forbidding and filtering attachments
are
(a) list the allowed types--by MIME encoding, which is neither predictable
nor restrictable; or
(b) allow them all.

If you can get away with forbidding them, that's great. I can't, so when
policing the types failed, I wound up allowing them all.

The one type of attachment I'd dearly love to block is ZIP files, because
they cannot be screened for viruses. But ZIP files can use a generic MIME
encoding for application data that's also widely used for spreadsheet
formats required by my lists.

If we could screen by file extension instead of MIME descriptions, we'd be a
lot safer.

Hal Keen