Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:23:45 -0400
>Hi,
>
>We have a handful of people within my organization that keep receiving these
>"Probe failure" messages.  Although I'm fairly new to the listserv arena, I
>would think that if you don't have the Probe feature set in the "Renewal="
>setting nor "Auto-Delete=" in your list header, then this feature would be
>disabled.  In fact, we don't even have the renewal config set up.  Any
>thoughts?
>
>Also, I don't know if it is associated with the above but, I also receive
>"unknown user" bounces.  (I've attached these below) We are all receiving
>email fine.  Everyone listed in the error are contained in the  "owner="
>setting in all of our listservs (which makes me worry).

My guess is that one or more of the secondary or tertiary MXs that
are defined for hp.com:

HP.COM                        MX    1800    10    smtp.HP.COM
HP.COM                        MX    1800    30    smtpx.HP.COM
HP.COM                        MX    1800    50    atlsmtp.HP.COM
HP.COM                        MX    1800    50    palsmtp.HP.COM

is not in fact accepting mail for the users in question.  It's not
clear from the messages you forwarded but it's probably either the
server that is also identified as xparelay2.corp.hp.com or the server
that's also identified as odin.esr.hp.com.

Since mail would only go to the secondary/tertiary MXs if the primary
MX was down or unavailable for some reason, that would explain why
most mail is getting through OK.

Alternatively, since the bounces appear to be generated by Microsoft
Exchange, it's possible that one or more of your internal Exchange
servers (again, probably xparelay2.corp.hp.com and/or
odin.esr.hp.com) is not configured to accept mail from the LISTSERV
machine.

Regardless, this:

>Your message

kind of message is not generated by LISTSERV.  It's generated by
something else, and LISTSERV is just passing it along to you.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc