Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:10:25 -0500
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, janet paterson wrote:
 > this begs the question as to the ultimate "goal" of the list
>
> is the "goal" of the listowner
> different from the "goals" of the listmembers?
>
> if so, then conflict is inevitable

No, it does not beg the question.  The goal of the list is communcation.
As I deal only with lists engaged in professional discussion among
colleagues in the field, with sometimes some asides, increasing the corp
de esprit, if you will, I have some unsderstanding as to what they find
usefull on the list and what they do not.

My goal as listowner is that they have that, as cleanly as possible.  If
ruffling some feathers from time to time seems to be indicated to achieve
that, fine.  Better they yell at me for doing my job than yelling at me
for not doing my job or worse: flame wars on the list between subscribers
because the listowner isn't  doing his job.

Douglas