Jacky Foo <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:55:47 +0100
John Lyon [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>> A more serious question is
>> Q: does it mean that a forger can forge my personal email address and
>> use my SEND=OWNER mailing list to distribute his/her junk mail ?
>
>Absolutely.
>
>> Is there a mechanism to prevent this ?
>
>Yes,  Send= Owner, Confirm
>
>Set this way your message will be sent back to your address for it to be
>confirmed before going to your list. So if it is forged, it comes to you
for
>approval instead of going straight to your list.

thanks, I tested it and it works......however, this manual security measure
(as a consequence of some evil persons with no sense of responsibility) can
increase the workload of the owner or editor, especially is an approval is
needed for each message sent to an active mailing list. So far I have had
no incident of someone forging my email address, but since the knowledge to
do it is now used by more spammers now, the risks are much higher now.

Thus my question is how can an automatic system within LISTSERV be
developed.
One way to narrow the risks is that LISTSERV automatically searches for the
domain origin (e.g in my case @swipnet.se) or IP nr in the concealed header
of the sent message. This would narrow the ability of such messages to pass
through.  I am not a software programme and so I ask - Is this possible ?
or is this a layman's dream ?

regards
jacky
P.S. I use MS Outlook and unable to view the full header of emails
received. Could someone help me privately.

regards
jacky