Gil Emery Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:33:11 -0500
Would setting a particulars poster to EDITOR or something like that to
moderate take care of it??? can you edit out the attatchment or the
WINMAIL.DAT file that is sent by the individual??

>There are many, many reasons.
>
>First, and most importantly, it's an incredible waste of bandwidth.
>Multiple a simple 100K file over 1000 subscribers, and all of a sudden
>you're sending 100 megabytes through the LISTSERV.
>
>Secondly, the attachment will get converted into a MIME or other
>text-based attachment, which only serves to confuse many net novices.
>
>Thirdly, some people - like me, hate getting attachments shoved down
>their throats unannounced. Much better to post a web or FTP URL, and if I
>want the file, I'll get it myself. Why force your file on all your
>subscribers, when you can empower them to get the file themselves if they
>ways it. My downloads directory is full of files that I never asked for
>and don't want. Every month I clean out over a megabyte of that crap.
>
>Fourthly, many people pay for their connect time - either through online
>charges or phone charges. Is it fair to make them pay for an attachment
>that they didn't ask for?
>
>Fifthly, many people have become paranoid of attachments because of their
>proclivity to contain virii or password sniffers (especially AOL
>members). You're causing them unnecessary distress.
>

>For all these reasons, and probably more, it's simply wrong to send
>attachments through a list. If your file is so great, they'll get it
>themselves if you tell them where to get it. But please don't force it on
>them.

Gil Emery Jr
CoOwner of [log in to unmask]
Owner of [log in to unmask]
Owner of [log in to unmask]
East Coast Paging Services Seacoast New Hampshire/Maine Dispatcher- EC14
http://www.firefighting.com/fire-l
ICQ# 3305583