Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:51:21 -0400
>>when adding subscribers in bulk via the add/import command, is it possible
>>to also set them for digest?
>
>I've never liked the bulk-add commands, in part because I have never
>gotten them to work.
>
>I have moved several lists from majordomo to Listserv. I started with
>the list of reflector subscribers. It was trivial in BBEdit to
>replace each [Return] with
>
>LISTNAME Subscriber [Return]quiet add LISTNAME<space>
>
>which would turn a list like this--

>into
>
>quiet add LISTNAME [log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber
>quiet add LISTNAME [log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber
>quiet add LISTNAME 72662,[log in to unmask] LISTNAME Subscriber
>
>Admittedly, you end up with people's names all assigned to LISTNAME
>Subscriber, but the REGISTER command can fix that.
>
>Once that's done, I effect the same changes to the list of digest
>subscribers. After I have converted all *those* names to the form
>listed above, I do another search-and-replace on the *original* data
>set, changing [Return] to
>
>[Return]quiet set LISTNAME digest for<space>
>
>I thus end up with a text file I can E-mail to Listserv containing:
>
>* QUIET ADDs for all reflector subscribers
>* QUIET ADDs for all digest subscribers
>* QUIET SET to DIGEST for all digest subscribers

The problem with this is that if you have Validate= Yes,Confirm
enabled for your mailing list (which I would recommend very strongly)
you will have to OK each ADD command seperately.

If you take this route (and I would really recommend using bulk add
instead), you would probably want to temporarily disable Validate=
Yes and then reenable it when you were done.

Another note: The following is valid syntax.

        QUIET ADD listname email@address *

if you don't know the user's first and last names or do not want to
be bothered typing them in.  (Of course using a dummy name, as was
done above, will also work.)
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc