Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:23:36 -0500
Ben Parker and Pete have already answered this.  If you can't use
Pete's suggestion of two lists, Ben's mention of editing the archives
manually is a possibility.  It is not a course I would follow as a
general practice, though.

First, the archives are, well, archives;  archives should be, by definition,
as complete and untouched as possible.  If you go changing things around
all the time they really aren't archives, are they?

Then, there is the work involved in editing the log files which make up
the archives.  It isn't difficult to do but is *very* labor intensive. You
may have better things to do than prunning the logs constantly. And,
returning to the previous point, if you delete everything anyone asks be
deleted you really don't have "archives," do you?  So, what is your policy
going to be on this?

We have nearly five years of archives.  I not infrequnetly get "I am so
embarrassed by what I sent to the list, would you please delete it from
the archives?" messages and my invariable answer is "no." There are some
horrendous faux pas of mine in there, far worse than what most people ask
me to delete, but they are still there.  If the archives are truly
archives, that is what they are and are not to be touched except for
technical problems.

Either have the archives, and they truly *are* archives, or not have
them at all, would be my advice.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L