Bill Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:48:36 -0500
A list subscriber has just started using the new Microsoft Outlook Express
(OE) as his mail manager.  He claims that listserv places one or more
leading blanks at the beginning of Subject lines.  The blanks are said to
be defeating his attempts to sort list mail into threads by subject (as was
supposedly possible with his previous mail program).  Further, he says that
the blanks do not occur with messages from non-listserv distribution programs.

There is no doubt that he (and at least one other person using OE) is
*seeing* subjects with leading blanks when viewing them with OE.  He has
sent me an "example."  However, I have not been able to verify the
existence of the leading blanks myself because I don't see them with
Eudora.  If the blanks are truly there, Eudora must strip them out.  Is it
possible that OE itself adds the blanks, or that it fails to follow some
protocol which specifies the removal of leading blanks in the Subject line?

For now, I'm assuming that the failing program is OE because it's the new
kid on the block.  Also assuming that if the leading blanks (or maybe a tab
character?) exist in listserv's output, it is proper for them to be there.
Hoping to get some verification so I can properly respond to the complaint.